SCOTUS HISTORY AND REFLECTION


I have never been a political person. Never really followed elections, at any level, throughout my lifetime growing up. With this preface in mind, I never knew much about the United States governmental system. Today, I read an article about Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) and a brief rundown of its history. And I must say, I learned quite a lot. The SCOTUS is the highest level court in the United States, with one Chief Justice and eight other Associate Justices to join. 

I learned that whenever there is an impeachment process against the US President, the Chief Justice is the one who presides over the trials. This hasn't been used very much over the United States' history, but recently, former president Donald Trump was under scrutiny and while I heard the impeachment thrown around, and I knew what impeachment meant in the big picture, I had no idea how that process worked.

I was also quite surprised to read that there have been a total of 115 justices to serve on the supreme court since it was established by the US Constitution in 1789. (as of June 2022). Not only did I not know that there were a total of 9 justices, I didn't even know there was a difference between a Justice and a Chief Justice, I thought they were the same thing.

However, I think the most important takeaway from this article is that the SCOTUS is the highest court in the country, making important decisions over incredibly controversial cases. Cases I have heard plenty of times such as Roe v. Wade and Dred Scott v. Sanford, all had to go through the SCOTUS due to their controversy.

To summarize, the SCOTUS is the highest court in the United States responsible for making decisions for the most controversial cases the country has to offer, along with many other duties relating to checks and balances and evaluating the constitutionality of the country's laws.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EOTO COMM TECH LINE - CASSETTE TAPES

PRIVACY, ON AND OFFLINE

LIVING IN THE AGE OF AI